For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.Oakton is seeking a Nanotechnology Laboratory Assistant for the Skokie campus to:
- Determine what apparatus, instruments, equipment, and supplies are needed for each experiment. Properly set-up test, clean, organize and re-store the necessary supplies for each laboratory session.
- Evaluate the quality of the data and suggest changes for future sessions by performing each experiment.
- Prepare and load samples to support remote access of instrumentation. Assist remote users during their scheduled time.
- Assist on-site users with instrumentation set-up and sample preparation.
- Assist in the operational activities of the instructional program and provide assistance in coordinating experiments.
- Perform routine repairs to equipment and instruments and initiate service requests for non-routine repairs. Conduct regular tests of equipment and instruments to assure they are in proper working condition and properly dispose of damaged equipment and supplies. Maintain general orderliness of the nanotechnology laboratory and storage areas.
- Initiate orders for supplies, equipment, and instruments as needed in coordination with purchasing and equipment suppliers. Maintain inventory and accurate records of supply expenditures, supplies, equipment, instruments, and suppliers.
- Maintain the safety and security of the nanotechnology laboratory facility.
- Assist in development of budget requests for the laboratory facility; writing and examining bid specifications; and maintenance of all records concerning the nanotechnology laboratory operations.
Qualified candidates must possess an Associate’s degree in Nanotechnology or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired; ability to use special laboratory instruments, computers, and nanotechnology-based software; ability to prepare laboratory experiments; ability to lift up to 30 pounds; and ability to handle exposure to chemical solutions. Knowledge of atomic force microscopy is preferred.
This is a temporary, part time position that works Monday – Friday, during traditional daytime hours.
This position is compensated $22.22 per hour.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. No person shall be subject to discrimination of any kind on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sexual orientation, or unfavorable discharge from military service.