: Aerospace Systems
US Citizenship Required for this Position
: Relocation assistance will be available
The Advanced Nanotechnology Laboratory at Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems is offering a 10- to 12-week summer research project for graduate students who will be part of a team responsible for the development of carbon nanotube products. Selected students will gain hands-on experience working with cutting-edge research and development teams, an increased understanding of aerospace mission, and mentoring in research management skills. Good interpersonal, communication, organizational, teamwork and time management skills are essential in this assignment.
Students must be enrolled in, or accepted into a doctoral program. Students must demonstrate their potential to contribute to the Advanced Nanotechnology Laboratory research via enrollment in a highly relevant degree program, such as materials science or mechanical engineering.The candidate should have acquired familiarity and skills that demonstrates working knowledge in the following areas:
· Carbon nanotube material growth and physical and thermomechanical characterization
· Coating and deposition techniques for metallizing vertically align carbon nanotube arrays
· Experience with modern thermal analytical methods such as infrared thermometry and/or laser flash conductivity techniques for measuring and modeling thermal interface resistances is highly desirable
· Familiarity with solder and adhesive bonding techniques for attaching semiconductor devices to thermal control surfaces
· Understanding and some capability for predicting and modeling thermomechanical stress in semiconductor device structures
An educational background in chemical or mechanical engineering with some familiarity and work experience in material science and an interest in interdisciplinary research.
Northrop Grumman Corporation is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.