Hanwha Business Development (HBD) based in Silicon Valley is part of Hanwha Solar America LLC, which is a U.S. affiliate of the Hanwha Group, a major South Korean conglomerate with worldwide revenues exceeding $30B USD. HBD is seeking a highly talented Technology Manager to be an integral part of the strategic business development team to evaluate and pursue investments and business opportunities in high growth technology sectors for Hanwha. These sectors include among others solar energy, advanced battery technology, advanced materials for displays, thin films and nanotechnology. This candidate will play a critical role in contributing to the overall success of the organization’s core mission.
- Lead analysis of the latest technology and research trends to develop new business opportunities and business strategies that align with corporate objectives.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with research institutions, universities, industry partners and the venture community to source new ideas and strengthen deal flow.
- Partner with internal research and engineering teams to brainstorm and conceptualize new ideas.
- Evaluate investment and business opportunities including M&A options, technology partnerships, technology licensing opportunities and strategic alliances.
- Organize and lead the technical due diligence on investment opportunities, provide technical guidance to professional services such as consulting firms, legal/accounting during this process.
- Work closely and collaboratively with cross-functional and global teams within the parent organization throughout the entire investment process.
- Partner with the business manager to prepare and make investment recommendation including supporting materials to the investment committee.
- Ph. D. in engineering (chemical, electrical, or materials), applied physics, or chemistry.
- 10+ years direct experience in materials development, semiconductor process or nanotechnology.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a firm foundation in technical fundamentals.
- Genuine interest in business, relevant experience in business strategy is a plus.
- Must have basic understanding of manufacturing operations including cost/capex considerations.
- Must be data driven to form independent viewpoints but still be open to inputs from others.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills must be a strong team player.
- High degree of professionalism and conduct at all times.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering results.
- Willingness to work long hours and under time pressure environments.
- Ability to interact with senior level management within and outside the organization.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (up to 50% of the time).