The Nanotechnology Characterization Lab (NCL) conducts physicochemical characterization to inform the evaluation of Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) aspects of engineered nanomaterials (ENMs). This Research Associate (RA I) will assist NCL scientists in the physicochemical characterization of ENMs.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in a field related to chemistry, material sciences, or biomedical research — or four (4) years equivalent experience in the appropriate field in lieu of degree. Foreign educated candidates who have completed part or all of their education outside of the United States must have their foreign education evaluated by an SAIC-approved accrediting organization to assure that it has met the equivalency of the qualifications of degree work in the United States.
- In addition to the educational requirements, a minimum of at least 2 years experience with analytical techniques and instrumentation (e.g. spectroscopy, electron microscopy, chromatography, light scattering, or atomic force microscopy)
- Stringent record keeping skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance
- Experience analyzing different types of nanomaterial with spectroscopy, light scattering, electron microscopy, and surface area analyzer
- Familiarity or experience with analytical techniques used in characterization of engineered nanoparticles such as titanium oxide, ceria, silver, gold and carbonaceous material such as fullerenes, carbon nanotubes
- Excellent coordination skills
- Experience working in an industry or academic setting