Our Next Breakthrough is You.
Research and development in the national interest thrive at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. By encouraging a competition of ideas, instilling respect for individual contributions, and embracing a diverse and motivated work force, we make breakthroughs that have global impact. Make history by being a vital part of our future.
The Engineering Technologies Division (ETD) has multiple openings within the Meso Micro and NanoTechnology Section (MMNTS) for Post Doctoral Engineer(s). MMNTS is a team of engineers and scientists with expertise in: nano and bio-molecular materials and structures, micro/nano-fabrication processes, microfluidic devices, chemical/biological devices, sensors, electronic and optical devices, and integrated microsystems. The Post Doctoral Engineer(s) will perform research and development on selected topics/areas within the range of activities described above. The results are expected to be published in reference journals and presented at conferences. The position reports to the MMNTS Group Leader and Project Manager and will interact with project team members, outside collaborators and sponsors, across all disciplines internal to LLNL, and management levels up to and including the Engineering AD office.
- Study and develop new sensors to address programmatic and sponsor’s needs including sensing of force, stress, gap, strain, acceleration, temperature and other physical phenomena.
- Conduct leading edge research in micro- and nano-fabrication techniques, novel lithographic methods, nano-bio-technology, process modeling, novel nanostructures and nano-materials developments.
- Explore novel technologies in the context of MEMS, electronic and optical devices and systems.
- Study sensor process integration to create multi-purpose sensor array architectures; model and optimize sensor designs for specific applications.
- Devise and integrate sensors and new packaging techniques to create fieldable systems.
- Fabricate and characterize designed devices and systems to validate the theory.
- Work closely with engineers, technicians, and integration experts from LLNL and its sponsors in all aspects of sensor device and system development.
- Publish and present papers.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Establish independent research projects.
- Lead/mentor student fellows and summer student researchers. ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Recent PhD in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
- Working knowledge of semiconductor fabrication processes (such as lithography, sputtering, e-beam, thermal evaporation, lapping and polishing, wet and dry etching techniques, wire and wafer bonding) and diagnostic (AFM, SEM).
- Experience in one or more of the following areas of complex technologies: micro- and nano-fabrication methods, nano-bio-technology, nano-materials, nano-structures and nano-devices, process modeling, and, transition of these technologies to chemical/biological defense and medical device applications, microfluidics, micro-electronics, photonics, MEMS, novel device architectures, integration methods and device modeling.
- Experience with experiment design, data acquisition, programming and device characterization.
- Experience with software for device design, modeling and data reduction.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills for the purposes of documenting analyses and preparing written technical reports and publications.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills and experience working independently and as part of a team.
- Experience in writing technical reports and journal articles.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Experience working within an interdisciplinary engineering team.
LLNL offers a challenging environment and a competitive salary/benefits package. To view and apply for this job, go to https://jobs.llnl.gov and search by job #008580. When applying and prompted please mention where you saw this ad. LLNL is operated by the Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC, for the U.S. Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to workforce diversity.