Nanotechnology Business Manager
Location: St. Paul, MN
The ideal candidate for this position will have a proven track record of entrepreneurial success in driving sustainable growth in a new technology venture.
The leader in this business segment will be responsible for charting a corporate strategy that expands TSI’s presence and influence in the global nanotechnology markets. Building from TSI’s current portfolio of nano-instrumentation, the Nanotechnology Business Manager will identify opportunities for TSI in nanomaterial production (material characterization and process quality control), nanomaterials workplace and consumer product safety, and new products through the application of nanomaterials (sensors, filters, etc.). The Business Manager will guide the activities of supporting market research personnel, analyze market opportunities, and identify product development programs and services that address unmet needs. Product strategies must also be linked to go-to-market initiatives that define corporate positioning, distribution, and service.
1. Survey all aspects of the nanotechnology market including:
Established and Emerging Applications
Product Research & Development
Production Process and Control
Product and Environmental Safety Compliance
2. Work with Marketing Management to develop a marketing strategy that effectively positions current products within identified markets. Identify market segments which are not sufficiently aware of TSI products for targeted marketing campaigns.
3. Identify new product opportunities based on high-growth market drivers. Oversee Voice of Customer projects to understand unmet customer needs. Generate supporting business cases and financial models.
4. Maintain a collaboration portal that organizes the activities and information for a nanotechnology support team. Work with other Product Managers, Marketing Managers, and Engineers to assign tasks and review progress. Encourage free thinking and strong collaboration, but make sure that the team remains focused on the business objectives you have provided.
5. Identify the important regulatory activities that TSI must closely monitor. Recommend standards and working groups which TSI should participate in to help drive acceptance of our products.
6. Work closely with Business Development team to define strategic product/technology gaps. Identify potential partners and acquisitions to fill identified gaps.
7. Work with downstream Marketing Managers on product launch plans and pricing models.
8. Travel in support of marketing efforts (25%+). Attend international conferences and customer visits. Coordinate an annual TSI nanotechnology conference that brings together key opinion leaders within the industry.
9. Complete other assignments and special projects as requested.
This position supervises a market research analyst and regulatory affairs liaison.
BS degree in Business, Marketing, Engineering, or a Science discipline.
Minimum of 10 years experience in Product Management, Product Development, or Marketing.
Demonstrable record of leading growth in a technology-based business segment.
Familiarity with nanotechnology and applications (desired).
3. Skills and Abilities:
International experience and demonstrated understanding of the global marketplace.
Ability to foster strong cross-functional collaboration, especially between engineering and sales/marketing personnel.
Possesses the discipline, judgment, and courage to insure that the business focuses only on projects that have a reasonable chance of success. Asks tough questions and decisively terminates projects that are destined for failure.
Has ability to prioritize and select highest return projects from amongst numerous, divergent opportunities and ideas.
Knowledge of Voice of Customer analysis tools and techniques, such as Six Sigma and Outcome Driven Innovation. Experienced in managing focus groups, authoring product surveys, and ethnographic studies.
Displays insight into customer needs, both stated and unstated. Possesses ability to see unobvious connections and patterns in disparate data.
Actively searches for new ideas and inspires others to be creative and curious.
Strong social skills, including self-awareness, self-control, empathy, and internal motivation.
Strong written and oral communication skills.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.