Kappa Search Inc., a Chicago employment agency specializing in the recruitment and placement of engineers, sales professionals, manufacturing and supply chain, is currently recruiting for a Coating Scientist/Engineer for a top client.
Our client’s business is focused on catalysts for the automotive, fine chemical, and refinery industries as well as high-strength supercomposites, initially targeting the armor industry.
The candidate selected for the position will be a technical leader in an aggressive product development effort to develop nano-enhanced products ranging from catalysts to supercomposites. As part of a multidisciplinary team, the Scientist will have broad responsibilities for the development of such products. This person must be a self-starter who thrives on the challenge of producing high quality materials that meet established product parameters while working to develop other products for emerging markets.
The primary position responsibilities will be:
- Responsible for all phases of the monolith coating process from mixing through coating, drying and calcination, and to final packaging and shipping.
- Startup and shutdown of the coating line
- In-process quality checks
- Collect samples as required
- Monitor process for quality while running
- Maintain an organized and clean work area
- Complete required paperwork for the batch record
- Weigh raw materials.
- Maintain mixing batch records
- Prepare batches of solution in accordance with the instructions on the batch record
- Clean / sanitize tanks, hoses fittings, etc. Wash down coating room as required
- Process characterization.
- Ability to drive manufacturing metrics (yield, thru-put, etc.).
- Conducting individual and team research to improve current products.
- Working with a global team to fulfill customer demands.
- Conducting analysis of products and maintaining database of results.
- Coordinating external analysis through vendors.
- Responsible for the equipment and processes.
- Works on significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangibles.
- Works on issues that impact design/selling success or address future concepts, products or technologies.
- Extensive technical experience in the area of emissions control catalysis or related technologies.
- Fundamentally/technically strong in the fields of catalysis and reaction engineering.
- Must have thorough knowledge of catalyst fundamentals and significant experience in PGM catalyst development and catalyst applications.
- Requires a high level of drive and flexibility to work in an entrepreneurial environment.
- The successful candidate will be a resourceful problem solver and be capable of quickly integrating R&D results into a manufacturing process.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Materials Science Engineering, Chemical Engineering; or a related field is required, with a minimum of 5 years experience.
- Must be able to perform independent research on several projects with little need for guidance.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and technical leadership skills.
- An understanding of catalytic systems (processes, chemistry, and supports) is advantageous.
- Experience in managing external vendors and engineering resource.
- Statistical problem solving
- Statistical process control plus good engineering judgment
- Design of experiments
For additional information, please visit our website at http://www.kappasearch.com/about-us