- The Critical Materials Institute at the Ames Laboratory, a Department of Energy national laboratory affiliated with Iowa State University, is anticipating a number of Postdoctoral Research Associate vacancies within 2013. Vacancies are anticipated in the following areas:1) Large scale density functional calculations applied to complex materials; computer searches for material property optimization.
2) Designing and performing chemical and structural analysis of materials at the micro-nano scale. This will include performing advanced techniques of transmission electron microscopy, including but not limited to high resolution transmission electron microscopy, scanning transmission microscopy, converged beam electron diffraction, energy dispersive spectroscopy and electron energy loss spectroscopy. Performance of 3D atom probe tomography or other 3D reconstruction methods.
3) Materials preparation, phase characterization using metallographic and x-ray techniques, and magnetic characterization. Positions require a thorough understanding of magnetic measurements, materials preparation using solidification processing, SEM and x-ray diffraction.
4) Combinatorial material science including thin film deposition, bulk sample preparation (e.g. arc melting). Specific areas of interest rare earth metals and alloys.
5) Rapid assessment of thermodynamic, magnetic, and structural properties of thin film and bulk combinatorial libraries. Specific techniques include: calorimetry, SQUID, VSM, synchrotron X-ray scattering, SEM, and TEM.
6) Pyrometallurgical processing with specific focus on recovery of rare earth (RE) metals from scrap sources. Additional areas of interest include expertise in powder processing of Mg-RE alloys.
7) Theory and code development in quantum chemistry as well as quantum mechanical methods in determining energetics and other properties. Experience with solvent methods and/or binding affinities is preferred.
8) Electrolitic preparation of rare earth metals.
Interested candidates should submit 1) a cover letter which outlines the following: a) area of interest and b) date of availability for employment; 2) current C.V.; and 3) contact information for three (3) references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will remain on file for one year from date of receipt.
Ames Laboratory/Iowa State University is an EO/AA employer.
- To apply
- applications must be sent to: email@example.com
- Ames Laboratory is a Department of Energy funded national laboratory operated through a contract with Iowa State University.