Postdoctoral positions in PHOTONICS: ICFOnest International Post-doctoral Program (COFUND) : Barcelona, Spain
- ICFO – The Institute of Photonic Sciences
- Barcelona, Spain
- October 03, 2011
- November 30, 2011
- Requisition number:
- ICFOnest PostDoc
Science jobs from ICFO – The Institute of Photonic Sciences: job description
ICFO – The Institute of Photonic Sciences is a centre based in Castelldefels (Barcelona, Spain), devoted to research and education of the optical and photonic sciences at the highest international level.
The ICFOnest International Post-doctoral Program (http://nestpostdocs.icfo.es), partially supported by the Marie Curie Co-funding of Regional, National and International Program (COFUND) action of the European Commission, aims at providing high-level training and support for outstanding international researchers in the early stages of their careers, working in the field of Photonics. ICFO will provide cutting edge facilities as well as a stimulating, international and interdisciplinary environment to help Fellows become successful independent researchers.
ICFO offers up to 14 post-doctoral INCOMING fellowships of 24 month duration to top-class postdoctoral international researchers, with ambitious research projects at the forefront of optics and photonics, who will perform his/her duties within an existing ICFO research group.
Research lines at ICFO include but are not limited to: biophotonics and photo-medicine / nanophotonics and nanotechnology / nonlinear optics and frequency conversion / quantum optics and quantum information / atto-science and ultrafast laser science / optical sensing and optoelectronics / green photonics and photovoltaics / nanoscopy and super-resolution imaging.
Eligibility and Conditions
In terms of eligibility a candidate must comply with the following requirements:
1. Have not spent more than 12 months of the prior 24 months in Spain, and not be Spanish citizens/residents. Spanish citizens may apply however if they spent at least 3 years immediately prior the application deadline in a country other than Spain.
2. Be in possession of a PhD degree at the time of the application cut-off-point.
3. Have not been awarded the PhD degree more than 5 years prior to the application deadline. Exceptions are made for documented periods of parental leave. Women may claim up to 12 months for child, for a maximum of 3 years.
4. Be first author in at least one publication (either submitted, accepted, in print or published). Copies may be requested.
5. Provide complete documentation requested for application.
Exceptions to the PhD degree requirements will be made for women with children and other documented career breaks. Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. No restrictions of citizenship apply to ICFOnest Post-doctoral Fellowships.
The ICFOnest Post-doctoral Fellows will be hired by ICFO on a standard employment contract of 24-month duration to perform his/her duties within an existing ICFO research group.
Applications should be submitted preferably by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (mailing label your name + ICFOnest PostDoc. Applications, nevertheless, may also be submitted by post.
Application to ICFOnest Fellowships is a two-step procedure:
First application step:
Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
- A presentation letter with declaration of interests,
- An updated complete Curriculum Vitae, including full address, a contact phone number and e-mail address (and indicating any career breaks),
- Full list of publications,
- 2 sealed reference letters submitted directly by external referees,
- A copy of the PhD degree (if available at the time of application, or certificate stating the planned award date of the PhD degree).
Once an application has been submitted, the candidate will receive an acknowledgment of receipt together with an application reference number for further inquires and the upcoming revision deadline. Updates of application material will only be possible within this deadline.
Second application step:
Applicants that pass the first evaluation stage will be informed about this decision and asked to submit:
- A 2-pages research proposal indicating the ICFO research area/s of main interest.
Applicants will be invited to get in touch with ICFO Group Leaders in the scientific area of their choice, in order to discuss with them the possible lines of investigation. Deadline for submitting the Research Proposal will be indicated to the corresponding applicants.
Applications can be submitted on a rolling basis until June 30, 2012 or until positions have been filled. Applications will be collated and reviewed in batches every 3 months.
Candidates may contact email@example.com for inquiries regarding the application.
For updated information about the ICFOnest Post-doctoral Fellowships, please visit http://nestpostdocs.icfo.es
For updated information about ICFO, please visit http://www.icfo.es/
Don’t forget to mention Nature jobs when applying.