- Preparing samples and performing mechanical testing per prescribed test methods under the directions of Senior Scientists.
- Participating in the development of composites and nanocomposites including design, analysis, fabrication, and testing.
- Participating in custom design and operation of Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) furnaces.
- Manufacturing and post-processing of various forms of carbon nanotubes (CNTs) and their inclusions in polymers and composites to develop high-performance multifunctional nanocomposites.
- Performing machining, measuring, testing, and data acquisition & recording of the developed composites and nanocomposites according to ASTM standards.
- Assisting in test equipment calibrations.
- Recording, evaluating, and reporting test results on written forms and in electronic spreadsheets.
- Developing technical reports and presentations as well as patent documents and research papers.
- Maintain test sample preparation area.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Vocational degree from community college or equivalent experiences, with technical focus in areas of science or engineering with hands-on skills.
- Proficiency in manufacturing techniques using mill, lathe, bender, hydraulic shears, diamond saw, cutting tools, grinder, drilling, etc.
- Proficiency with computer aided design software such as AutoCAD, Inventor, Solid Works.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with composite materials manufacturing and testing.
- Familiarity with programming, MatLab, and LabView.
- BS in mechanical engineering, material science, chemical engineering, physics, or related area.
- Ability to read and interpret specifications, review test plans, procedures, data analysis and follow detailed verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of accessory design and operation of CVD furnaces.
- Familiarity with the growth of CNTs (Carbon Nanotubes).
- Familiarity with machining and testing of composites.
- Familiarity with Instron testing machine and associated data acquisition techniques.
- Familiarity with ASTM methods related to mechanical and physical testing of composite materials.
- Familiarity with advanced materials, nanomaterials, nanotechnology, composites, and nanocomposites.
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation for the application or hiring process are encouraged to contact the EEO/AA coordinator(s) for the respective campus.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.