GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
DEPARTMENT OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
MINISTRY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Applications are invited for ‘Ramalingaswami Fellowship’, a re-entry scheme of the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt of India.
(1) The scheme is aimed at bringing back researchers of Indian origin working overseas in various fields of biotechnology, including agriculture, health sciences, bio-engineering, energy, environment, bioinformatics and other related areas, and who are desirous of pursing R&D in an Indian institution.
(2) The applicant should possess a Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent degree with an outstanding track record as reflected in publications and other recognitions.
(3) Only candidates of Indian origin working overseas are eligible to apply. Those who have already returned to India and are working in India are not eligible.
About the fellowship
(4) Selected awardees will receive a fellowship amount of Rs 75,000 p.m. (consolidated) and a contingency grant of Rs 500,000/year for purchase of consumables, minor equipment, international and domestic travel, engaging manpower and other contingent expenditure to be incurred in connection with the implementation of research project. However, the host institute/university where applicant proposes to work can consider giving additional benefits (e.g. HRA/housing, medical allowance, leave travel allowance and other benefits) as applicable to regular faculty.
(5) In case an awardee finds a suitable permanent position during the tenure of the fellowship at any research institute/university, he or she can take up the job. In that case, he/she will have to opt for either the fellowship or salary. However, she/he can continue to avail the contingency grant with prior approval of DBT.
(6) Ramalingaswami Fellows could take up fellowship at any of the scientific institutes/university in the country. However application should be duly forwarded by the competent authority of the host institute.
(7) Awardees are eligible to apply for research grants to any of the funding agencies. However, the Co-PI has to be a permanent employee of the host institution.
(8) The duration of the fellowship will be for a period of 5 years. This is extendable by another 5 years on a fresh appraisal.
How to apply
(9) Applications may be sent as per Performa downloadable from DBT website (www.dbtindia. nic.in) and duly forwarded by the competent authority to Dr Meenakshi Munshi, Joint Director, Department of Biotechnology, Block-2, 7th Floor, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110 003, e-mail: meenakshi29.dbt [at] nic [.] in latest by 31 July 2009. Other details regarding the proforma may be seen at www.dbtindia.nic.in